The following is part of a little information brochure I’ve put together about our store for non-vapers. I thought everyone might enjoy it since as vapers, we all face the same battle against misinformation daily.
Vaping is not smoking! In fact, vaping is the anti-smoking alternative smokers and non-smokers alike have always wanted.
Vaping is not dangerous to others. It contains four components:
- Vegetable Glycerine – A common carrier liquid in pharmaceutical formulations that gives vapor volume, critical to the replacement of smoke, and smoothness.
- Propylene Glycol – Another common carrier in pharmaceutical formulations, such as asthma treatments, which is injected into hospital ventilation systems for it’s powerful antiseptic action.
- Flavorings – These provide stimulation for the pallet, a necessary part of effectiveness as a smoking alternative, and have only a very light, usually pleasant scent.
- Nicotine – The concentration of nicotine in second hand vapor with three hours of constant exposure is less than the amount of nicotine in one single tablespoon of eggplant!
The health effects of vaping have been studied. Although relatively new to the United States, vaping has been in widespread use in Europe and Asia since 2004. After studying this track record, The Royal College of Physicians, London states:
- “On the basis of available evidence, the RCP believes that e-cigarettes could lead to significant falls in the prevalence of smoking in the UK, prevent many deaths and episodes of serious illness, and help to reduce the social inequalities in health that tobacco smoking currently exacerbates.”
Nicotine use decreases rapidly and even accidentally with the use of vapor products. Smokers who switch to vaping just to have a cheaper source of the sensation and nicotine delivery of smoking are usually shocked to discover a rapid decrease in the amount of nicotine they find comfortable, which can be tightly controlled with vaping. Many even find themselves nicotine free in a short time with no original intention of giving up nicotine.
The vaping industry does not seek to attract new users. Our store, and indeed most, turn away the few customers who neither smoke nor vape. We are not interested . We also require positive picture ID to ban minors from our products.
We hate the lies and practices of Big Tobacco just as much as any non-smoker or former smoker because we ourselves were taken advantage of by them. Ironically, vapers and anti-vapers believe almost the exact same thing. The only difference is vapers know more about the facts of vaping without the negative propaganda.